Three publicly-owned general aviation airports serve this area, all within a half hour’s drive. All offer modern terminal buildings and service facilities.
- Mountain Empire Airport (MKJ) is located in Groseclose, Virginia, just fifteen minutes from downtown Wytheville along I-81 South. The runway is 5252’ and is visible from the highway.
- Twin County Airport (HLX) is located just beyond Wythe County’s southern border inside Carroll County just west of Hillsville and features a 4200’ runway.
- New River Valley (PSK) is located northeast of Wytheville in Pulaski County near Dublin. A 6201’ runway is offered as well as a US Customs presence at this ILS airport.
Commercial airports with scheduled service aren’t far and give access to numerous locations across the globe. Within two hours’ drive, you’ll find four major aviation facilities.
- Roanoke/Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA) is an hour’s drive on I-81 north near Roanoke. Service is provided by Delta, United, US Airways, and Allegiant to markets including New York (LGA), Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Chicago (among others). Parking and access to I-81 are both convenient.
- Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI) is located near Blountville, Tennessee, part of the Tennessee/Virginia Tri-Cities metro area. Non-stop service is offered to the hub cities of Charlotte and Atlanta via US Airways and Delta. Allegiant offers service to St. Pete/Clearwater, FL. Only 90 miles from Wytheville.
- Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO) is located southeast of Wythe County between Greensboro and High Point, NC, and is less than a two hour drive. Half a dozen airlines fly non-stop to Atlanta, Detroit, Charlotte, Dallas-Fort Worth, Chicago, Washington, Newark, Philadelphia, Denver, and New York, bringing the world much closer to our doors.
- Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT) is a two hour drive south on I-77. This international airport is served by over a dozen airlines. Flights go all over the US and North America and to a number of destinations in Europe, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.